Think Progress reported Sept. 1 that during a panel discussion hosted by The Huffpo, Conservatives railed against “liberal bloggers” claiming, according to TP:
Joe Scarborough: “it’s so ugly now in some parts of the internet’ that good people are being dissuaded from running for office.”
Peggy Noonan: The commenters “are much like what you would have gotten in 1880 if you walked into a bedlam with a megaphone and said, ‘I’d like to say a few words.’ It’s wild, it’s crazy, and it’s awful, and it’s often quite vicious.”
Tucker Carlson: People are “really underestimating the vitriolic dumbness” that’s out there. “I don’t think there’s any way to understate it. … It’s mostly on the left,” he said, and it’s “totally intolerant.” It’s “the least liberal thing I have ever seen — the default position is ‘I don’t agree with you; you are either stupid or corrupt,’” he said. “I think it’s actually hurting the country.”
Frank Lunz: “You’re right,” he said to Tucker. “Mean would not describe it. It is as humanly vicious as it possibly can be,” he said, adding that it is “deliberately insulting.”
Apparently, it’s just fine for the Right to promulgate “vicious,” “vitriolic dumbness,” “deliberatly insulting” commentary that “hurts the country.”
- The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.
- I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.
- It’s one thing to have a sizable minority like the Democrats stand in your way, but it is just unacceptable when a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of Republicans in Congress also rear up in opposition and join the liberal Democrats to derail an agenda. At some point that has to be faced. It has to be faced because these RINOs, these moderates, are undermining our agenda on taxes; they are undermining our agenda on spending; they are undermining our agenda on oil drilling, and they are undermining the war on terror — and I’ll give you some names. You want some names? Here they are: Olympia Snowe, John McCain, George Voinovich, Mike Castle, Christopher Shays, and about 30 to 35 others.
- (on Nancy Pelosi) She’s got about as much respect as an iguana swimming around in your bathtub. (okay…i’ll give him this one. it’s funny.)
- Screw the world. Do you really think we ought to govern ourselves based on what the world thinks of us?
- I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo.
- If Gore had been elected president, right now he would just be finding that last lesbian quadriplegic for the Special Forces team.
- Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity (as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of ‘kill everyone who doesn’t smell bad and doesn’t answer to the name Mohammed‘).
- There are a lot of bad Republicans; there are no good Democrats.
- The Democrats are giving aid and comfort to the enemy for no purpose other than giving aid and comfort to the enemy. There is no plausible explanation for the Democrats’ behavior other than that they long to see U.S. troops shot, humiliated, and driven from the field of battle. They fill the airwaves with treason, but when called to vote on withdrawing troops, disavow their own public statements. These people are not only traitors, they are gutless traitors.
- God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, ‘Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It’s yours.’
- (On Islam) We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.
- The radical Democratic left is an army of soulless ghouls. Being of the living dead, they live in a world of death and try to impose it on we the living. Witness who led the charge: a radical homosexual, Barney Frank. A radical abortion Mafiosa, Barbara Boxer.
- You know, when I see a woman walking around with a burqa, I see a Nazi. That’s what I see, how-do-you-like-that? A hateful Nazi who would like to cut your throat and kill your children.
- My ancestors fled here because they wanted to become American. They wanted to imitate and ape the white man, while retaining some of their background. They didn’t want to impose their background upon the society, like so many immigrants do today, thinking that they have a right to impose their fetid societies upon us, the very stinkpots that they ran from.
- They make homosexual wedding the law of the land, when 90 percent of the American people find it repugnant! And sickening! And disgusting! And don’t wanna accept it! And don’t wanna live in a degenerate nation!
- I couldn’t get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia’s Restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it’s run by blacks. Especially the black patrons: there wasn’t one person shouting, “Hey, m’fer, I want more iced tea.”
- I just wish Katrina had only hit the United Nations building, nothing else, just had flooded them out, and I wouldn’t have rescued them.”
- Listen, citizens of San Francisco, if you vote against military recruiting, you’re not going to get another nickel in federal funds. Fine. You want to be your own country? Go right ahead. And if Al-Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we’re not going to do anything about it. We’re going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead.
- Many parents are worried in America about the gay agenda and indoctrination of their children to see homosexuality in a certain way.
- I find this guy [father of Michael Berg] despicable. Everything in me says that sluts are to be a better people today than I was yesterday says he’s a dad, he’s grieving, but I don’t buy that. I’m sorry, I don’t buy it. I think he is grieving, but I think he’s a scumbag as well. I don’t like this guy at all.
- Cindy Sheehan is a tragedy slut.
- Good for you, you have a heart, you can be a liberal. Now, couple your heart with your brain, and you can be a conservative.
- Al Gore‘s not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization. The goal is global carbon tax.…You need to have fear. You needed to have the fear of starvation. You needed to have the fear of the whole place going to hell in a handbasket. Which–do we have that fear now with global warming?…Then you have to discredit the scientists that say ‘That’s not right.’ And you must silence all dissenting voices. That’s what Hitler did. That’s what Al Gore, the U.N., and everybody on the global warming bandwagon [are doing].
Who spews vitriol and anti-intellectual, inane, mindless drivel? And who gets more airtime? Talk Radio and now Fox News (and CNN) has given these hate machines a stage for years. Furthermore, the blogsphere is populated with more Conservatives hell-bent on caging those who are either different or disagree with them. Yet it’s the “angry liberal bloggers” who are criticized. Well, I take any criticism from Karl Rove as a compliment and vindication I’m doing something right. The Conservatives are simply trying to take the focus off the fact that their policies hurt Americans in the economic lower 95 percentile. The hyprocisy is palpable.
The Internet has given every person an ability to raise their voice and express their opinions. It is an invaluable tool preserving our democracy in a day and age when the mainstream media is either in cahoots with those they cover or are merely subject to the almighty dollar. We protect freedom and ensure transparency. We speak our minds without fear of intimidation. We are informed and pay attention and will always do so.
Are we angry? You’re damn right we’re angry! Our government has been hi-jacked by an authoritirian regime killing our civil liberties and guaranteeing our developed-nation achievements are only accessible to the wealthy. Only someone with their head in the sand could not be angry.
These righties would like us to surrender, to give up our message and treat them with kid gloves. Screw that. We are taking back our country, we are countering the hate-spewing by the Right that has gone unchecked for so long. Take the plank out of your own eye, Righties, and remember that we actually help this country and we’re here to stay.