Chris Matthews said yesterday that Obama’s trip had gone so well, he just skip Germany and just come home. This has to be one of Matthew’s larger brain farts. Can you imagine how pissed the Germans would be if Obama canceled on them last minute? Furthermore, the speeches given by JFK and Reagan in Germany will be remembered throughout history. For Obama to squander such an opportunity at such an exciting time would be a massive mistake. Minus 10 points, Chris!
Here we go,
- Speaker is echoing. If this goes on the whole time…let’s just say, “Chinese Water Torture.”
- Speaking not as a candidate, but as a citizen of U.S. and World.
- He just laughed at a crazy yell from an audience member. So perfect that show of humor.
- Talking about his father dreaming of a better life and someone in American answered his calls.
- Recalling when U.S. & Germany histories became intertwined 60 years ago.
- All that stood in the way of the Soviets marching across Europe and perhaps starting another world war was Berlin. The airlift began.
- “People of the world, look at Berlin. Where Germans and Americans learned to work together and trust each other.” And make good beer!
- NATO – the greatest alliance ever formed to defend our common security. Take that, isolationists!!
- Good speech writing, Good delivery cadence.
- The 21st Century has revealed a world more intertwined than at any other time in history. (paraphrasing) This new closeness also brings new dangers.
- The terrorists of 9/11 plotted in Hamburg.
- Climate problems.
- The poppies in Afghanistan come to Berlin as heroin.
- We cannot afford to be divided… No one nation can defeat these challenges alone.
- Sometimes, on both sides of the Atlantic, we have drifted apart and forgotten our shared destiny.
- In America, there are voices that deny Europe’s role in our security and our future.
- Global citizenship.
- “Greatest danger of all is to allow new walls to divide us from each other.”
- We must tear down walls dividing rich/poor, races, religions.
- I hope Americans are remembering that Germany is having massive race/religion issues. Their lax immigration laws have created tension with their growing population of Arabs and Muslims. In many ways, America has outpaced European in progress of race relations – I noticed while living over there.
- Now is the time to join together across the globe.
- “This is the moment we must defeat terror and dry up the well that supports it.”
- The camera has closed up on his face – good staging.
- NATO’s first mission beyond Europe’s borders, Afghanistan, must be accomplished.
- He said tal-ee-ban again. One of his handlers needs to get on that.
- “We must renew the goal of a world without nuclear weapons.” Ahmadinejad, can you hear me?
- We need a strong European Union.
- If I were a betting person, and I am, I’d say he’s obviously going to win the election if, for not other reason, than he’s the polar opposite of George W.
- Passing responsibility to Iraqi govt. and finally bring this war to a close.
- Crowd started chanting Obama! Obama! with a European accent. giggle.
- Must reduce the carbon we send into our atmosphere.
- “This is the moment to give our children back their future.”
- The world will watch and remember what we do with this moment.
- He’s addressing problems in more countries than George W. can probably name.
- When we reject torture and stand for the rule of law.. (attn: Rummy, Cheney, McFlipFlop etc. etc.)
- There are time when U.S. actions do not live up to our best intentions. — Is he saying W. and Cheney had good intentions? Objection!
- All free people everywhere became citizens of Berlin. Jeez, that’s a good line!
- Conclusion: I come before you to say that we are heirs to a struggle for freedom. We are a people of improbable hope with an eye toward the future, with resolve in our heart. Let us remember this history and answer our destiny and remake the world once again. Thank you, Berlin!
Andrea Mitchell is reporting German officials say the crowd is more than 100,000 strong.
Compete with that, McCAN’T. Booyah.
McCain says he’d like to give a speech in Berlin as president (suggesting it’s inappropriate for Obama to give the speech as just a candidate). Won’t happen, John. Sucks to be you today.
UPDATE: Huffpo is reporting the Foreign Service barred it’s employees from attending the Obama rally. Is there any freedom left the Bush administration hasn’t tried to curtail?? There has never been an administration in the history of the United States that has so strongly attacked our freedoms, liberties and right to pursue happiness. How does that man Bush hold his head high every day as he marches our country toward an autocracy? I have never been more thankful for term limits than I am at this moment. Of course, I suppose it wouldn’t matter if Bush could run for reelection. The landslide would smother any hope he would have of continuing his disastrous political career.